.Amani

.Amani
Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, March 10, 2011

Time to use my brain again.

So I'm officially back in school ♥

Not a degree course, just certificate courses for 1) Wedding and Event Planning and 2) Wedding and Event Design through Lovegevity's Wedding Planning Institute.

I've always been looking at this school, for at least two years now. When I was in my last school, the college adviser gave me a couple of suggestions on what to do as far as continuing education. At some point I decided I was just going to do a bunch of certification courses for the moment.

A couple of my friends used to go "why not just a degree course?" But really, there's no real degree course for Event Planning. The closest that I found was "Hospitality", and I just felt that if it's not on point to what I wanted to do, then I'm not going to bother with it. I don't like the idea of working around stuff that are *sort-of* connected to what I'm doing. Especially with the issues I did have going through high school, I feel that certification courses are easier for me to handle without emotional trauma, since I'm doing just what I want to do, rather than going through the college school system and taking Math and English and Language classes and etc. I feel I can't handle 2+ years of crap I don't want to do. Especially if it's gonna cost me 20+k dollars. No thanks.


So for now I'm doing these two courses. The Wedding and Event Planning course starts next Thursday, so I'll be going to it once a week at Brooklyn College from the 17th to sometime in May. As far as the Design course, Preston Bailey being the instructor, that's online so I've already started it. I'll probably make a review later on what I've seen so far and stuff, but at the moment I'm really enjoying it. The program is very interactive, but very much like a PowerPoint presentation when you go through all the sections.


My first impression was "It seems so brief :/" ... until I got to the part about Color Theory. Oh God, how I hated being introduced to Color Theory in my old classes, even though it was really for one day. I absolutely hated it and didn't understand half of it, but now I'm going to have to force myself and teach myself.

But really, I'm only near the end of the 1st part of like 7 parts. It seems short to me because I have trouble concentrating (especially when it's -on- the internet? lolo *has 5 different tabs open*), so mentally I practically skimmed it. I need to go back and read stuff again later on, so I can soak it in better, and then do extra research on my own, like again, Color Theory, and then more in-depth history on event planning, etc.


He of course has his own personal experiences all throughout, and he shared his concept drawings and before/after final products of weddings and stuff that he did.
They.
Were.
AMAZING.
In my future entry post I'll share. Because for me, it blew my mind.

The designs that were made were all fairy-tale like, and you'd think that you only see things like that in video game designs like from Final Fantasy and crap but, this guy seriously does it and brings it to real life. It's crazy. But I suppose the only downfall for it? Is that his clients have the expenses to make some ridiculous shit like that happen. I doubt I'll ever be able to have that happen soon ;____; /foreverpoor


In any case, once these are done, and if I don't have a job by then, I'll probably look into internships. Also thinking about doing Floral Design, as well as I think Image Consulting? and typical business courses. Just things that surrounds what I want to do.


Ending this before I start babbling on. blahh

2 comments:

Amani said...

Mm... design of any sort has always appealed to me, so I can totally understand the interest. : D

Also... the lack on interest in pointless courses (thes damn general education requirements are driving me mad at my university). And dude, if you bring the creativity and taste to Floral Design or event planing or whatever else, as you do in your own personal style, you'll be a guaranteed hit. 8)

Amani said...

Yeah man, Just hearing for the past two years from all my friends about them re-taking half the crap in high school.,.. I can't do it. = A= at all. Like in New York we have these required tests called 'Regents' which is basically off of the whole subjects, and we have em for nearly every subject... why would I want to take Biology or Environmental Science when I already past the test? And take English or Social Studies knowing I bust my ass to get that 80+ grade? It's so redundant and it's a waste of money - w-

Follow Me!

Follow on Bloglovin

Twitter~