.Amani

.Amani
Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, December 11, 2010

International Lolita Day-- Dec. 4th 2010




There was a lot of different things going on with the NYC-area lolitas on December 4th, which is the winter celebration of the bi-annual "International Lolita Day" 2010. ILD was made more than 5 years ago (it might've been 2003ish?) after a member of EGL on Livejournal popped up with the idea in a post. Ever since then, the day has been celebrated on every first Saturday of June and December. (There are two to accommodate to the seasonal differences between the Northern and Southern hemispheres-- so everyone around the world would have a day in the summer and in the winter.) Part of it's existence is to remind everyone why they got into the style, how it makes them feel, and for those who are scattered/live in isolated areas, it helps comfort and give confidence, knowing that in many other parts of the world girls are dressing up as well. A much better explanation is on Lolita Charm here.



Anyways, for ILD I hosted a gothic themed tea party at the King's Carriage House, on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. Last year I had a Princess-themed party at the Rose House, so I wanted to kind of flip it for this year. I enjoyed it a lot! The budget however, was really tight so I tried to make the most of it for my guests. There were also complications with room/seating, but in the end I got the room that I asked for, thank God! Planning is pretty stressful, but once the party's done and over with, do I really enjoy it. I try to do things like this to entertain my friends, and also to exercise my brain (since I'm hoping to study event planning/design within the next few months).




Christmas cards & business cards on top of every plate...




Table centerpiece I made
(other guests at the KCH were pretty impressed!)





Centerpiece #2. Christmas gifts, gold pinecones, glittery grapes and snowflakes... and among them raffle prizes made by Blasphemina's Closet and Apatico!


Everyone looked so nice in their outfits! I dressed pretty plain, since I was going to be on my feet the whole time. The eating tables decorated with red linens with a thick, sparkly lace overlay, topped with Christmas boxes, garland, various ornaments as well as raffle prizes-- a decorative tin box of assorted chocolates, 3 small floral fascinator/headpieces (approx. $30+) and a beautiful heart-shaped pillbox (approx. $125). Special thanks to Samantha Rei and Megan of Blasphemina's Closet and Apatico, respectively.






There were a -lot- of food, especially sweets including petit fours, baklava, egg & watercress sandwiches, smoked salmon sandwiches, and savory tarts with goat cheese, tomato, etc. I think I might've spoiled people's appetite with the sweets D: lol


More party pictures:



Guests coming up the stairs to the party area...


















Sweet Aria



Special thanks to Christine (yllsa on LJ). More photos here at her photobucket.
I'll also probably do a separate review for the King's Carriage House later, for a regular visit.

I hope everyone had a good time.
Next year!


1 comments:

Christie Klein said...

yay my pictures XD

Follow Me!

Follow on Bloglovin

Twitter~